Still don’t know how to get rid of oily skin forever naturally? If you have oily skin type, you definitely know the feeling of doing beautiful makeup, but before you leave the house, you need to use your powder on your greasy forehead three times more.
By the time you arrive at the meeting, you’ll look like a light bulb again and back to touch up your greasy nose, plus those enlarged pores and often red pimples on cheeks.
Greasy face, the excess of sebum on face and enlarged pores on cheeks can be reduced if you know what the right skin care for oily skin and acne is.
Oily skin causes and treatment
Why do I have oily skin?
- Sebaceous glands protect skin from dryness to appear. Some of us have overactive sebaceous glands, which cause sebum to buildup on the face. Also as a consequence you can experience sebum plugs on the face.
- Oily skin and acne as well as dry skin on face are signs of hormonal imbalances. Our body goes through 3 different stages during the menstrual cycle. At each stage, the levels of our hormones change. How to say it… One day they’re up and the next they’re down, so you can feel the low progesterone symptoms, ha ha. At each stage, our skin behaves a little differently – a few days it can be relatively ok and the next morning you wake up and the sebum production almost doesn’t allow you to unstick your face from the pillow. Now I’m exaggerating a little bit, but you have an idea of what I mean. Excessive long-term stress can also cause hormone imbalance symptom, affecting the normal skin structure.
- Thinking that oily skin does not need moisturizer is a mistake. People suffering from oily face skin problems usually avoid using moisturizers for oily skin thinking that their face will shine even more. The problem may be that an occlusive moisturizer for oily skin is not the best for all skin types and conditions. However, natural skin hydration is important for all skin types and characteristics. For oily skin types, a light cream for face with not such a thick consistency is more suitable. Another mistake may be excessive cleansing or scrubbing skin everyday or the use of products with a high amount of alcohol.
How to get rid of oily skin forever naturally
Here are my 3 tips on how to take care of oily skin:
Cleansing benefits for face
Twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, cleansing the skin prevents half of the problems that you are facing especially if you have oily skin. Clean it, but gently. Sometimes the reason for overactive sebaceous glands and excess sebum production can be the fact that your products contain a high amount of alcohol (look at the first 5 ingredients on the label). Alcohol can dry the skin out, and skin with increased sebum production may only defent itself in this way. But beware – there is good and bad alcohol in skincare.
Why moisturize oily skin
If you’ve read this far, chances are you’re trying to figure out how to get rid of oily skin forever naturally. As I mentioned above, hydration is important for every skin type. While a thicker cream may be more suitable for dry skin, oily skin will do with a lighter cream or fluid that doesn’t create such a thick occlusive film on the skin. Excellent humectants, both synthetic and natural humectants for skin are, for example, hyaluronic acid for face, urea, glycerin and sorbitol. Lactic acid has both exfoliating and hydrating properties.
As the saying goes – two birds with one stone.
How to stop oily skin forever
Don’t need the best foundation for oily skin and large pores. Adding suitable active ingredients into your skincare routine for oily skin and large pores, will work just fine.
The most popular, helpful and best skincare ingredients for oily skin are:
- AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids)
- BHA (beta hydroxy acid)
Best active ingredients skin care
AHAs AND BHAs
AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids)
- They are water soluble, so they do their job rather in the upper layers of the skin by removing dead skin cells that clog pores
- They promote collagen production and help fade acne scars
- The best-known AHA acids are glycolic, lactic and mandelic acid
BHA (beta hydroxy acid)
- It is fat-soluble, therefore penetrates deeper into pores, where it dissolves sebum and impurities, which helps from clogging the pores and prevents the formation of blackheas, whiteheads and acne
- It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties
- salicylic acid is the only one from BHAs commonly used in skincare
- Niacinamide can regulate sebum production on the surface of the skin, which prevents pore clogging and acne formation, acts as an anti-inflammatory agent
- It can be combined with basically any other actives
Retinoids skin care benefits
- Retinoids reduce sebum production and decrese the oiliness of the skin
- They increase skin cell turnover, preventing pore clogging and fighting acne
- They are great for smoothing fine wrinkles
Best skin care products for oily skin and large pores
Geek & Gorgeous 101, A-Game 5
WHY IS IT SO GREAT?
- It contains retinal, which needs only one conversion into an active form of retinoic acid – the form that is responsible for all those great effects. Retinal is much more potential than, for example, retinol, therefore the amount of 0.05% in this product is absolutely sufficient, retinal also offers smaller probability of skin irritation
- Furthermore, it also contains allantoin, which has a soothing effect on the skin
- Panthenol and glycerin are excellent humectants that keep the skin hydrated
FULL INGREDIENTS LIST
Aqua (Water), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Oleyl Erucate, Glycerin, Triheptanoin, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Cyclodextrin, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Allantoin, Retinal, Rubus Chamaemorus (Cloudberry) Seed Oil, Panthenol, Citric Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol
COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying treatment toner
WHY IS IT SO GREAT?
- Clarifying treatment toner contains Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Water, which is an antioxidant that prevents the skin from free radicals
- It also contains Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Water and Betaine Salicylate, which are derivatives of Salicylic acid that don’t irritate the skin as much as Salicylic acid itself, therefore it can be a good choice if you are just starting with acids
- And last but not least Glycolic acid, which in addition to exfoliation also has a positive effect on wrinkles
FULL INGREDIENTS LIST
Water, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Water, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Water, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Sodium Lactate, Glycolic Acid, Betaine Salicylate, Allantoin, Panthenol, Ethyl Hexanediol
Glowing serum for face
Catrice, Serum Glow Booster
WHY IS IT SO GREAT?
- It contains niacinamide, which helps reduce sebum
- Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), a powerful antioxidant that has anti-inflammatory capabilities and can brighten the skin, in addition, it promotes the production of important protein called collagen and can help fade post acne scars
- Aditionally, it contains Pineapple fruit extract, which acts as an antioxidant and soothing agent
- Squalane helps to maintain moisture in the skin plus it is very similar to our sebum, therefore it is tolerated by most people
- And finally, Glycerin acts as a humectant
FULL INGREDIENTS LIST
AQUA (WATER), NIACINAMIDE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SILICA, TOCOPHEROL, SODIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, ANANAS SATIVUS (PINEAPPLE) FRUIT EXTRACT, CITRUS LIMON FRUIT EXTRACT, HYDROXYETHYL ACRYLATE/SODIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYL TAURATE COPOLYMER, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, SQUALANE, GLYCERIN, HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE, ETHYLHEXYLGLYCERIN, POLYSORBATE 60, SODIUM NITRATE, SORBITAN ISOSTEARATE, EUTERPE OLERACEA FRUIT EXTRACT, GLYOXAL, CITRIC ACID, PHENOXYETHANOL, POTASSIUM SORBATE, SORBIC ACID
A few tips on how not to use active ingredients
At the beginning, exfoliate no more than once or twice a week, especially if you are just getting started with acids. It depends on the type of product, the type of acid used and its concentration. Although it is possible that oily skin can handle them more often, it is better to start slowly and enjoy all the benefits of acids.
What skin care products should you not use together?
In one routine, I don’t recommend using retinoids and acids together. It could be too much for the skin. Instead of reducing sebum, your skin could fight back with its increased production and you could also observe worsened acne and damaged skin barrier.
Niacinamide plus acids or niacinamide plus retinoids are a super combo. Niacinamide will reduce any possible initial irritation caused by acids or retinoids, so don’t be afraid to combine these in your evening skin care routine.
How to get rid of oily skin forever naturally without getting your face burnt.
Oily skin is often accompanied by enlarged pores. I’ve already mentioned how important it is to cleanse and exfoliate the skin so that the pores don’t get clogged. But! Did you know that enlarged pores can also be caused by loss of skin elasticity? And the loss of skin elasticity is caused by the loss of important proteins called collagen and elastin. And the major cause of this loss of proteins is UV radiation. Surprise, surprise!
Therefore, if you still skip this step, now it’s the best time to include the sunscreen in your morning routine. In addition, when using acids or retinoids, it is necessary to use a sun protection anyway, since these actives increase the skin sensitivity to UV rays.
I hope you find my tips on about how to get rid of oily skin forever naturally useful.
Let me know in the comments which products helped you to keep your oily skin at bay.
Source of information where you can read more about different oily skin treatments: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5605215/
🤔 WHAT DO YOU WANT TO READ?